Monday 30 April 2012

[Influence] Blast from the past

When taking some time off working, I decided to revisit one of my old childhood favourite shows, Sonic the Hedgehog SatAM. When watching it, I realised that my animation practice is looking similar to these older styles of shows, with the characters being animated frame by frame over a painted background. In my case the characters are animated in Flash with basic cel shading (similar to the shows) whereas the backgrounds are drawn with a mix of Flash and Photoshop, and then animated in After Effects, leaving a clear difference in detail between the two. This seems to be a huge difference to more modern shows, as the backgrounds seem to fit in a lot better with the overall art style (thanks to the wonders of digital animation over traditional cel animation) I just find it interesting that my practices seem to be heading in the opposite direction to mainstream television animation. These pictures should illustrate my point:
Sonic SatAM (1993)
Phinneas and Ferb (2007)
Oddball (2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment