Thursday 17 May 2012

Oddball: The Amazing Cameraocular Device



The Amazing Cameraocular Device (or Oddball: Cameraocular) is my final piece for my first year at University. The brief was to write a 3 act story based on an object in the Leeds City Museum. My object was the camera in the picture below:
After some thought I was able to think up an idea. At the time I also wanted to practice my side episodes for Oddball, keeping in mind new viewers and the character information they would need to know for each episode.I decided to kill two proverbial birds with one stone by putting a camera into an Oddball script! After some writing and development, I was able to pitch this animatic in class, which eventually went on to being the final video:

For this project I wanted to use some of my inspiration and mix in After Effects for more detailed backgrounds and effects. I tried to texture the backgrounds in the Safety Gnome, but due to Flash having the virtual memory of a stunted peanut, I experienced a lot of issues. After Effects also allowed me to add snow effects a lot easier than Flash so I was able to make the animation a lot quicker overall.
The only sacrifice of this was that Newgrounds.com, the site where I get most of my traffic from only accepts .swf, but as if by fate, they finally started accepting .mp4 video files too, and the image below should speak for itself when I say the new format was a big help.


The images below are from the Powerpoint I used to pitch my animation in class, they go into a lot more detail about my decisions:


No comments:

Post a Comment