Monday 5 November 2012

[Drawing] Life drawing - The head

In one of our life drawing sessions, we focused only on the head. This was a good opportunity to get some practice at different angles as this is the main part of character turnarounds that I have trouble with. For the first bunch of drawings we did an 8 angle rotation with each pose lasting 5 minutes. Throughout this I learned more about the structure of the face rather than just the silhouette. The structure of the nose, cheeks and lips were a bit part in creating the outlines, especially in tough angles such as the rear 3/4 view.


For the next bunch of poses, we dropped the time to 3 minutes. I'm naturally a slow drawer as I put too much time into getting the fine detail down, so in the 3 minute drawings I was starting to have some trouble getting everything down in time, however these exercises should help me to speed up my drawing from here on in.
By the time the 2 minute poses came around, the drawing had gotten extremely cartoony, focusing only on the main details. However there is one pose (second to the right on the middle row) that I liked the style of. The one minute poses were anatomically terrible as I was rushing to get even the base down. The model was unrecognizable, but looking back I realized that this was the point I started focusing more on the silhouette again rather than the form. The following 10 second drawings were just unbearable.


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete