Tuesday 22 January 2013

[Commission] Nick Basile Radio

I was commissioned to make this animation for http://nickbasile.com/ The animation style is relatively simple compared to my other work as more episodes are planned to time restrictions, and as I do my commissions currently at low prices due to them they're on the side of my other work.
For this episode I was simply given the dialogue and produced a rough storyboard and character model samples for the client. Once these were given the all clear, I proceeded to animate the whole video. The animation style is similar to that on my old series, Universithing (seen below).


I handled this project a little different to usual, I set myself certain times to work on the project, and also created an invoice once the project was done for the records. I also kept regular contact with the client in this project and let them know everything I worked on and changed.
Another trick experience taught me with previous projects was to add a watermark to the video until payment came through, This meant I could freely send the client copies of the video without any risks (I've had a client try to run with a video before).

This project wasn't without problems though, fortunately these were only small ones, such as export glitches, changing sound levels and making slight adjustments to the video itself that the client pointed out. All in all the animation went well for time and budget limits, and I have learned to take a more professional and structured approach to commissioned work. My new workflow is as follows:


  • Take request and find out enough information to agree on a price with the client
  • Discuss art direction/influences to get a better idea of the work, also request any reference material needed.
  • Request a percentage of the payment up front to assure money can transfer without fail.
  • Create storyboard/animatic and art style samples for the client and tweak as appropriate.
  • Create animation
  • Adjust any tweaks in the animation stage
  • Post processing
  • Send invoice and receive payment
  • Render and send the final file.

No comments:

Post a Comment