Tuesday 5 March 2013

[Vampire Pixel] Influence map

Now that Vampire Pixel has had some changes, I thought it was time to make a new map of influences behind the project. I've moved on from the parody of kids shows to more of an emulation with the writing. The animation may be different to the original "Cartoon Network" style I had planned (taking inspiration from Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, etc) as the staging in my video changes a lot and I want to get the most out of my shot composition, rather than limit myself for the sake of emulation.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

The original inspiration behind the art style. I'll be looking at this series for a lot of composition examples, as well as the primary influence for some of the character styles. Focusing on strong shapes and lines rather than form, it creates a style reminiscent of CN shows, while keeping the shots interesting and open for actions.

Tron: Legacy 

When it comes to neon, need I say more than Tron? I'll be watching this movie to pay attention to the art direction. Looking at how the neon colours create mood in the environment and add an overall theme. I'll then be thinking of ways to convert this into a style that works for the backgrounds in my own video.

Invader Zim
A sharp art style, exaggerated characters and interesting backgrounds, check!

Dexter's Laboratory
My story follows a theme of sibling disagreements, which makes a perfect opportunity to study Dexter's Laboratory. The protagonist, Dexter also has some similarities to Viare in the way they just want to do their work, while their sister causes havoc (in my case accidentally). The opening also shows a strong use of colour which is essential in my animation.

The Powerpuff Girls

I feel it's important in my animation to establish the roles each character has in the team. Viare being the leader, Viking being the brute, and Vextor being the anti-hero. The Powerpuff Girls manages to establish the trio's roles/personalities in a matter of seconds through music only in the introduction sequence. Even more so in the credits sequence where the lyrics literally state their roles. This show is also influential to the genre. It has comedy aspects mixed with action, while still centering each episode around a particular theme or moral.

No comments:

Post a Comment