Monday 17 February 2014

[Pre-Production] Visual research.- Aliens

POKEMON
Due to the small size of the aliens, I decided to play on cuteness to get an appeal across to the audience. To achieve this, and also envision how they may move and express themselves, I looked at Pokemon. With over 700 current designs, a lot of particular Pokemon were similar to the simple design on my own characters. Below is a selection of character designs:

These designs all feature a similar body structure, with a large, round head roughly the same size as their body. Using this simple base, the characteristics of each design were then brought out using colour, additional features such as ears or tails, and through a variety of eye and mouth styles.


INVADER ZIM
Created by Jhonen Vasquez, Invader Zim is a cartoon about a rogue alien under the illusion he is taking over the planet Earth. One thing I took note of in the character designs is the uniform the aliens wear, each following a similar design, just changed to match the different characters' body styles. I gave my alien tro matching uniforms to create a sense of unity and identity in their characters.


No comments:

Post a Comment