Thursday 3 November 2011

[Uni project] If only I had more TIME!

The goal for animation number four was to create a time lapse sequence focusing on changes in light. When the topic was first announced I had visions of a video with different styles and moods of music matched by changes in light, for example slow, calm piano matched to sunrise and then drop in the dubstep for night time sequences of overexposed car lights in the street. This realisation didn't take long to fail though as time got the better of me. I set out to film the first part of the sequence out of my flat window. The goal was to take a picture every 5 minutes of the sky getting darker while the lights in the building opposite began to turn on. I thought this would make an interesting transition from natural to artificial light. It was after filming this sequence for around 6 hours and getting 7 seconds of footage that I realised my original goal was too ambitious. Instead I chose to match the changes in light to a sound effect. After searching through my files, I managed to find a gem. The original PlayStation start up theme. With nostalgia running through my veins I added the fading sound to the animation I had filmed and then adjusted the timing by looping several frames.
Here is the finished animation:

Once my animation was complete, I was unsatisfied with the shakiness of the camera. Taking each picture manually meant that I ended up slightly knocking the camera in each frame. To avoid this, I wanted to try out a self capture program, so I got hold of the freeware "Tiphalos"
The animation below was an experiment with the program:
I often have trouble sleeping so the animation was interesting to see how frequently I move around.

No comments:

Post a Comment