Thursday 3 November 2011

[Uni project] Toy Dancers!

For our final week long project, we were tasked with creating a pixilation animation with a humans and inanimate objects interacting and defying gravity. My finished project differed greatly from my original concept, which almost literally involved turning my room upside down.
My final idea changed greatly however, when I realised there wasn't a lot of interaction with inanimate objects I could do while either sitting on my side or holding myself up against a wall. Whilst rummaging through my clothes for Halloween, I discovered some of my steampunk gear, along with my goggles I frequently wear. This reminded me of a music video with wind up toys:
Above: For those not intersted in the song, skip forwards to 2:40 or 3:30 for the parts I'm referring to.

Obviously this level of animation would be difficult giving that I haven't had much experience in stop frame and the time limit in which I had to make the animation. Instead I decided to use various objects that I could give character to while keeping the animation fairly simple. For example the mouse, which behaves like a snake with the wire trailing behind and the scared teddy behind the fridge.
As for the interaction with the objects, I was again inspired by Dr. Steel's "crazy toy-maker" image and decided to add a simple story to the project. A toy-maker tries to create dancing toys, gets mad at them when they fail, toys get revenge.
The finished project is below:

On completion, this project turned out to be my favourite out of the four new styles and I feel that the previous work had helped me out a lot too. The political animation taught me the importance of lighting and the time lapse work showed me how important it was to keep the camera steady, as even the tiniest of movements can be picked up.
One thing I would improve in future work is to switch to royalty free music. The music choices aren't pop culture, but they are still licenced tracks so I should aim to avoid them.
It was also a chance to actually be in my work, and pull the set of classic faces below!




No comments:

Post a Comment