Wednesday 18 January 2012

[Personal project] Oddball Christmas 2011

As my final animation of 2011, I created a short Christmas animation for my Oddball series in Flash. The animation was well received on the internet, receiving nearly 14 thousand views, a daily award and a review crew award on Newgrounds.com.
Below is a video showing some of the work on my animation:
For this cartoon I really wanted to make use of the skills I'd learned at University so far, I tried to do more frame by frame animation, put more attention into the backgrounds and also improve my script writing skills too. As far as short Christmas stories go there isn't a lot of variety as Christmas already has a few set ideologies and morals behind it. I chose to take the "gift of giving" approach by having Redi break into a toy shop to steal something for herself, but then after all of the trouble, give the toy to a less fortunate poor child on the street. Of course I added the usual Oddball twist by then including the shopkeeper accusing him of being the thief instead.

One thing I would have liked to change in the animation is the music. With the recent outcry over SOPA and of course the issue that the music is owned I would have really liked to use royalty free music, but I feel that iconic Christmas music is an essential part of the Christmassy "feel" to the video.

After making this video I began on the newest character reference sheet for Antique, and I am in the process of creating one for Redi as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment