Thursday 17 May 2012

[Uni project] Go with the Flow


My first full length After Effects animation. We were told about a Quay Brothers exhibition that was taking place in Leeds with the theme of "Flow" and told to interpret it in our own work. For my animation I chose to base the story on the flow of digital information and how much we rely on it now.
My idea changed a lot over development, but the core message remained the same. The initial idea was to have binary flying around in the air, that I would edit in After Effects. This binary would enter electronic devices and lock them with the word "Flow".
When making this effect I didn't like the look of it, so I chose a different approach, to show the before and after states of the screens. This was a relatively easy process as all it needed was Photoshop editing.
As for the pictures, I went around Leeds and tried to find as many screens as I could, but after a low count, I decided to ask my friends for help by getting them to send in pictures of their phones, laptops, etc.

Before Flow, I'd taken some After Effects basic tutorials and created this short clip. After Effects is definitely a program I'd like to use more as it brings a new level to the possibilities open to my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment