Thursday 17 May 2012

[Influence] It hit two times

You may recall from an earlier post that I'm a huge Pokemon fan. You may also remember from the same post that I was impressed by the new way the Pokemon anime is made, mixig 2D and 3D elements seamlessly, this is partially what inspired me to move my work into a mix of Flash and After Effects, so that I could have a more mixed looking medium than Flash alone.
Recently a trailer has emerged for the upcoming Pokemon games, "Black 2" and "White 2", and I've been impressed yet again. While people close to me will know that I don't find anime particularly inspiring, I'm very interested in this video as it does exactly what I want to be able to do, seamlessly mix together mediums for an amazing visual result, with excellent animation to boot. It also adds some interesting camera work due to the new medium, such as the 3D shot through the characters eyes at around 50 seconds.
The backgrounds also have a lot of parralax scrolling which adds a lot of depth to the scenes, something that I feel I am missing from mine.
I also learned the importance of camera movement from this video and now that I'm using After Effects, it's much easier to manipulate the flash files to do this. There aren't any parts of this video where the camera is completely static, and I feel this brings a lot more life to the shots and helps prevent static frames. I believe this is my next step in my videos as one of the things I didn't like in Cameraocular was how static some sections were.



While on the topic of mixing mediums, here's an earlier video that's always inspired me every time I watch it. I know I'm primarily 2D animation, but things like this make me want to at least explore the basics of 3D, it's interesting to see how the two are mixed together and still manage to create a sense of depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment