Monday 30 April 2012

[Personal project] Oddball: Chapter 1 and 2

In my time as an animator (5 years this year on the internet) I've started to get some attention and even amassed a small fanbase. While I'm at University I want to make sure that I keep up with my personal work so that I don't lose this following. For the past 2 years I've had a series on the shelf called Oddball. I've been waiting for the point when I feel my animation is good enough to throw at an ongoing series, and it's finally begun. The 4 episodes from the past (each radically different from the last) have all gone down well, and a lot of people were already sending in fan art and feedback.
Around my 20th birthday, I finally decided it was time to give it my all.
Starting with a series of Livestream videos that my Deviant Art fans could attend, I revealed the official "origins" of Oddball would be explained. This was received well as people were generally excited and full of questions in the streams.
Here is some sped up footage of the actual live animation process, hopefully the dedication to my own work as well as class work will show, as these streams often went for 10 hours or more, well into the morning:


As the episode went along and got more complex, Flash was having trouble coping with the file size of a 7 minute video, so I came to the decision to split it into chapters, and to my luck, fans agreed.
After two months of balancing with my University work, I managed to release Oddball chapter 1 on April 27th:


Due to the episode being split, I was worried that the 56 second prologue may be too short and disinteresting, however the viewers responded extremely well and I've yet to receive negative feedback.

I also managed to complete the second chapter relatively quickly, shown above. Below is the teaser "poster" I used to promote it on my Deviant Art page. The third chapter is currently undergoing some re-writing, but should be out in the holidays.

I can only hope now that this summer break brings a great start to Oddball!

No comments:

Post a Comment